The original (unofficial) Bulawayo Crest was adopted by Milton High
School. The arms of Bulawayo were granted on 19 October 1943. The arms
replaced an unofficial design.
The current Bulawayo coat of arms three rock rabbits were the totem of the Royal Family of the Matabele, the Kumalo. The cross below symbolises the bringing of Christianity by the first missionaries and settlers.
The elephant crest is based on the royal seal of Lobengula, last king of the Matabele. The motto "Si Ye Pambili", in Sindebele, means "Let us go Forward". The rock rabbit is an indigenous species, not related to the European rabbit. Its official name is a rock hyrax (Procavia capensis).
Progressions to the current Milton Senior badge and lastly the Prefects badge.
This memorial in St. John's Cathedral, Bulawayo (the early school
location) to an old Miltonian features the School Crest.
THE PERRY WINDOW IN ST. JOHNS CATHEDRAL
This memorial in St. John's Cathedral, Bulawayo (the early school location) to an old Miltonian features the School Crest.
Original (unofficial) Bulawayo Crest featuring the elephant in the crest.
Bulawayo Coat of Arms